Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tips from a publicist--of sorts: Kathy Richards

If Kathy "Katdish" Richards believes in someone, she really gets the word out. And she believes in Billy Coffey. Actually, I don't know who I met first, her or Billy. She's been effectively promoting him, his blog and his book for over a year now, but she's hesitant to call herself a publicist. She's just a woman who's excited about a writer she believes in.~~~

When Linda asked me to write a guest post about marketing, I immediately agreed because I am spontaneous and generally agreeable. (Okay, maybe a bit more of the former than the latter.) Then it occurred to me that I am certainly no expert on the subject. What Billy Coffey and I have done over the past year has been a learning experience for both of us. For me to write an article about the Dos and Don’ts of promoting an author online is a challenge, because I don’t follow the rules. I follow my instinct. Which is not to say I break any rules, I’ve just sort of made them up as we went along. But maybe what I’ve learned can help someone else out there. I certainly hope so.

What I share with you comes not from the perspective of a writer, but from a person who has a passion for helping writers share their stories with the rest of the world.

I don’t need to tell you the importance of marketing yourself and building your platform. If you don’t believe me, simply refer back to your stack of rejection letters from agents and publishers. Oh, I know—the writing should speak for itself. After all, you’re a writer, not a spokesperson. If you’re willing to take your stand and die upon that hill, stop reading now.

Still here? Okay, good. It’s time for me to make a few assumptions.

Assumption One: You have a blog or (preferably) a website. How’s that working for you? Do you have an “About” page? If people take the time to visit your site, there should be a place where they can get to know you as a person, not just as a writer. Who are your readers? If the bulk of your readers are other writers, you may have a tendency to write about writing. And while a regular post about writing is certainly not a bad thing, your website should be primarily a place to spotlight your talent as a writer, not a how-to guide for other writers. (Unless of course, it’s specifically designed for that.) All writers are readers, but not all readers are writers. Don’t limit your audience.

Assumption Two: You have Twitter and Facebook accounts and you are interacting with people online on a regular basis. This does not mean sharing your latest blog post with your friends and followers and then logging out. Talk to people. Engage in conversations. Don’t wait for someone to talk to you, jump in. Promote others before you promote yourself. People will care more about you if they know you care about them. If all you ever do is promote yourself and your own projects, that is a huge turn off for most folks. A word of caution: social media sites can be a huge distraction and time waster. Limit your time there. Your writing should be your first priority.

Assumption 3: You are not trying to do this by yourself. Have you developed relationships online with people who seem to be connected with a wider and more diverse audience? Are they regular readers of yours? Do they support what you’re doing? Ask them for help. Connectors can be invaluable allies in your career as a writer. A true connector who is willing to help you doesn’t need much instruction on how to promote you. It’s second nature to them. If they believe in what you’re doing, they will convince others to believe in you as well.

If you are like many writers I know, much of this talk of self promotion and marketing flies in the face of your introverted nature at best, and at worst may make you feel like you’re a complete sell out. But it doesn’t have to be that way. You don’t have to compromise your integrity in order to effectively market yourself. Above all, be true to yourself and your craft. Your current and future audience will appreciate your honesty and will reward you with their loyalty.

***
Kathy Richards (aka katdish) is not a writer, but she plays one on the internet. You can find her most days at her website Hey, Look! A Chicken! or giving unsolicited advice on twitter at http://twitter.com/katdish. She also designed and manages what she thinks is just about the best author website on the internet, What I Learned Today.

When asked to describe her working relationship with author Billy Coffey, she best describes it as follows: "I am Chloe O'Brien to Billy Coffey's Jack Bauer. If you're not a fan of 24, this will make absolutely no sense to you. If you are a 24 fan, it should be noted that Billy does not scream profanity-laced demands at me like Jack does to Chloe. Much."





Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for the opportunity to guest post here at Author Culture. The past year has been quite an education and adventure, and I've come across some really taltented writers in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy is a HUGE promoter, and not just for Billy. She tweets about peoples' blogs, converses about them and has been kind enough to put up links for some amazing writers on her own website. Beyond that, she's always on one blog or another offering great insight or snarky commentary if the occasion calls for it.

    When reading Kathy's writing, one can't help but smile. She has a great sense of humor and a great ability to express herself.

    So that's that! She lives what she shared, this is my glowing recommendation to check her writing out some more, and follow the lady on the twitter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat, it's really an honor to have you here. Thanks for sharing what you've learned with us.

    Jake--I agree 100%! She's a terrific lady and I love her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jake. Much has happened since we first crossed paths over at SCL. Do you realize that you were one of my first commenters on my blog? I appreciate you so much. Someday I'll be able to say, "I knew him way back when".

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much of this should be common sense - yet it takes a smart and snarky woman to remind me of it. Thanks, Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview, Linda. And great answers, Kathy. I know from experience that every word of that is true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smirk. I don't watch 24, but that last comment rocked.

    And the advice is great! Sorta in a "get busy doing this or that or else..." way. But still awesome.

    Not to make this all about me, but Katdish is largely responsible for the small platform I have. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing with us today, Kat! Great advice. The idea of purposefully enlisting "connectors" is dynamic, to say the least. Kudos to you for all your hard work. You're the kind of reader writers die for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Billy, thanks but this is all Kathy. All I did was ask her to write for us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barnabas Kathy--barnkat for short. :)

    Encourager and cheerleader and teacher extraordinaire.

    Thanks for having her here today to share such great advice/assumptions.

    1. Now I'm wondering if I should get me a website.

    2. No problem wasting time on Twitter today as it's twitting.

    3. Grateful for connections that could not be made when I first tried to seriously write on a typewriter 25 years ago.

    Like here. And at katdish.net.

    Which reminds me. I need to go see if the cats have food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Be true to yourself.

    I think Katdish makes this a graspable reality.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandra - barnkat? Snort! Thanks for your kind words. If you're thinking of getting a website, @peterpollock helped me with Billy's and mine. He's awesome.

    KM - A reader writers die for? Well, thanks. I think I'm simply very appreciative of good things, and I try to help where I can.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic post! I learned a lot and laughed hard - it doesn't get better than that. Thanks so much for the witty wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kathy, Great post! Thanks! Always love reading your writing. And thanks, Linda and gang, for having her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post. I think the publicity thing is the hardest part for me as I think about taking the next step in my writing. Good thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's been so cool to watch from the sidelines to see what has resulted from the friendship between Billy and Katdish. You two are quite a team.

    And Kathy, you have such a generous heart with your RTs, your comments, blog visits, invitations to guest post, etc. God bless you, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Many writers are awkward with the publicity stage, I'm still learning so thanks for this great post

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL, love the 24 reference! Sorry I'm late to the party. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so very glad to see katdish here. She really is a true and genuine supporter of writers, and I have been blessed as the recipient of her excellent advice on more than one occasion. In short, she rocks!

    ReplyDelete