Monday, October 25, 2010

A Writer's Survival Guide to Getting Published, by Terry Burns

I am so excited to announce Port Yonder Press's newest release, A Writer's Survival Guide to Getting Published, written by author/agent Terry Burns.
Between the covers of this short book, Terry tells all--from surviving the fifteen-minute interview at a writers conference to writing a killer proposal. He explains what is meant by "comparables" and why they're necessary, and what a "platform" is. He gives ideas for how to promote yourself and your book. And, he takes you inside the acquisition editor's mind to give you a head's up on what to look for in your own manuscript.

A massive percentage of manuscripts are refused even before they are read because the authors didn't prepare their query correctly, they didn't follow instructions--or didn't bother to read them. Before you submit, before you attend the agent/editor interview, read Terry's Survival Guide. It'll give you a leg up in the process so you can survive to that final round of refusals--the round that actually includes reading the manuscript.
Port Yonder Press is a stickler for perfection, and I believe we have put together an exceptional product for our readers on Terry's behalf. I'm not going to say it's absolutely perfect, because no sooner than I commit that statement to print, someone will write me and say I missed a comma on page 53.
If you've written the end on your manuscript, if you've polished it until the sun reflects blinding rays into your eyes, if you're ready to hit the publication trail, you need A Writer's Survival Guide to Getting Published.
Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

  1. Hoping/planning to make this my next writing-related book purchase. Since that's my next stage, I'm going to need something to help keep me sane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish it had been published when I began my query tour. For anyone who's at that stage, this book will make the process easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is next on my reading list. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read it. It's fabulous. It should have "Don't Panic" written in large, friendly letters on the front cover, except I think that's already been done. Totally worth the price.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omigosh, Robynn, I think I nearly snorted laughing at that! Maybe it should come with a towel, too ;).

    Anyway, it surely sounds like a handy book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a long way from the publication stage, but I do plan to buy this book soon. Other things have to come first, but it is on my short list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had several how-to writing books over the years, but this one sounds like it could be worth looking into. It's on my book wish list.

    ~ VT

    ReplyDelete