Monday, February 28, 2011

Resource Round-Up!

Ever know how a word starts, but for the life of you can't spell it well enough to look it up? Try the Instant Word Search. This gem of a site starts popping words at you until it finally hits the one you're looking for.

Or are you looking for synonyms? Antonyms? Rhymes? Try The Big Huge Thesaurus. Okay, so the title is a bit redundant, it's still a fun site, particularly because it also generates blog post ideas and story/plot/loglines--a one-stop shopping site.

Of course, RhymeZone is still a popular site for finding rhymes and more including pictures and quotations.

Webliography
is a terrific resource which has a list of terrific resources for mystery, romance, historical, and Christian writers.

And speaking of historicals, Our Time Lines helps the writer fill in the gaps and set the scene with a rundown of all the major events during the era in question. Easy to use, too.

But if you're just looking for some writing humor, you've got to see Inkygirl, if you haven't already. This site promises something for every writer's funny bone!
Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

  1. Hey Linda,I thank you for sharing, You know it wasn't that long ago that I was pulling the thesaurus off the shelf above the word processor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I add a recommendation? For finding character names I love http://www.behindthename.com/ and http://surnames.behindthename.com/. You can search by meaning, nationality, and gender. There's also some fun stuff like "anagram names" and "names for twins."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the sites! I just added them all to my 'favorites.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comong Forward--I know what you mean. It wasn't that long ago, I was doing my work on an IBM Selectric III!

    Kat--great addition! Thanks for that!

    Juliana--Glad you liked 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet. I'll be passing these along to my students.
    http://pedroramirez3rd.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your students like them.

    ReplyDelete