Monday, June 27, 2011

Resource Roundup

Not long ago, I needed to know when the sun set in September in Texas for my WIP. Even though I live in Texas, for some reason, I just couldn't come up with the answer on my own. That's when I found Time and Date dot com. This site is a time zone calculator, sun and moon calculator, date calculator. We used it recently to help DH figure some dates in years passed for business purposes. It's a helpful site.

The Bookshelf Muse was a terrific find. This site provides a thesaurus for emotions, colors/textures/shapes, weather patterns and more. It's a great tool for describing even those difficult facial expressions you're trying to capture. It even has a symbolism thesaurus. If you really into self-torture, poke "Bakery" under Settings on the sidebar.


Another terrific tool is Plaxo, used for maintaining control over your contacts. Plaxo allows you to import names and information from several sources including LinkedIn, Facebook, Yahoo, etc. and organizes them in one location. You also can keep your info updated and available for those wishing to keep up with you.

These are the sites I've found since the last time I had a "Resource Roundup" post, but now, I'm hoping someone will explain a resource to me: What is Facebook's new rave, "BranchOut"?
Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the resources! I was wondering the same thing about Branch Out. Someone sent it to me but I haven't really explored it yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda for the mention! And writing that Bakery entry, Becca and I almost gained 5 pounds, lol!

    Thanks too for the link to Plaxo--I've been wanting something like this for a long time and this is perfect!!

    Branch Out I just started looking at, but it's kind of a more 'Linked In' style app for Facebook for network building. People can give you a professional recommendation that I believe is searchable to the internet, and so would pop up if someone was googling you. (Not 100% sure, but I think that's what it does.)

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I've been using Wolfram Alpha to calculate times, but this link looks a little handier.

    And, of course, I'm already a big fan of The Bookshelf Muse. I refer to it often when writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh. Somebody just asked about a writing resource, and I referred them to this topic here. This makes 22 posts about resources for writers. Score!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica--thanks for the comment. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not sure what Branch Out's about.

    Angela--Thanks for stopping by our site. I love yours (bakery pounds and all). As for Branch Out, I wish I understood how to maneuver in it. I'm learning LinkedIn, but this one has me stumped. I'm pulling some pretty impressive names into my "empire," but I don't have a clue what that means!

    Katie--this site is so easy to use, even a cyber-idiot like me can figure it out. I don't think I've seen Wolfram Alpha.

    Phy--I hope your friend found just what he/she needed. We aim to please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! Thanks for the tips, definitely going to make use of them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no idea what Branched Out is. It's been popping up all over too.

    The Bookshelf Muse is such an awesome resource!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Bookshelf Muse and have it on my favorites bar. Excellent resourse.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Millardthemk--I hope they do ya good!

    Joy & Heather--I love the Bookshelf Muse, too. I'm so glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Branchout is basically Facebook's answer to LinkedIn. =) It's a collective of business contacts on your Facebook, you can write 'endorsements' for your contacts and you can find potential jobs.

    Awesome recommendation, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the explanation, Morgan. I hope to learn how to use it to its highest potential, like I have on LinkedIn. Gimme time, I'll figure it out!

    ReplyDelete