Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lessons From the Pros ~ Creating a Good Hook

Does your manuscript have a good hook? 

Today I have a blog post over on my agent, Don Jacobson's, blog. The post is on creating a good hook for your story.

Honest truth? I got behind this week and didn't get my Lesson's from the Pros post written for AuthorCulture. But, it just happened to work out that the post I wrote for the DCJA blog went live today and since it is very applicable, I will simply direct you lovely readers over there.

Ah, confession IS good for the soul! :)

Feel free to comment here or there with any thoughts or questions.

Here is the link: Does Your Manuscript Have a Good Hook?

So what about you? What’s your favorite opening line? What about it made you want to keep reading? Anyone want to share the opening line from their current work in progress?

Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

10 comments:

  1. Great post full of great examples, Lynnette. In addition to their undeniable importance, hooks are one of the most plain-out fun parts of a story, for both reader and writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Katie. And yes! So true. I just started a new WIP this week and will probably rewrite the opening sentence a bazillion times - hopefully it will get better with each draft. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good article. I left a comment on the guest post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw it, Warren. You had good thoughts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've changed my opening a bazillion times, and I'll probably change it a bazillion more, but this is what I have today: If Joe Collins blew this play, Coach would kill him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lorna, I like it. It introduces the main character, lays the stakes on the line, and leaves us needing to know whether he will succeed or fail. My only thought is that I'm wondering what game he is playing - football? basketball? soccer? You might try and incorporate the name of the play in a way that will identify the sport. For instance in basketball you could say, If Joe Collins blew this lay-up, Coach would kill him, etc. This might be intentional, however. Another question that propels the reader onto the next sentence to find out the sport. I like it! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do introduce the sport of football in the next paragraph, but is that waiting too late?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate falling behind. Kudos on having a great redirect though! Make the most out of that opening question and bait the audience to follow onward.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good point, PW. Changing it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, PW. I'm glad you found it helpful.

    Lorna, if you bring up the sport within a paragraph, or so, I don't think it is that big of a deal.

    ReplyDelete