Friday, June 10, 2011

Fabulously Fun Friday: Are You Misappropriating Malapropisms?

A malapropism is the use of an incorrect word in place of a similarly sounding correct word. The name comes from the character Mrs. Malaprop, from The Rivals, a comedic play by Richard Brinsley Sheridan. The character has numerous lines that illustrate the blunder that would become her namesake. Here is some of her dialogue:

  • “She’s as headstrong as an allegory on the banks of the Nile.”
  • “He is the very pineapple of politeness.”
  • “Illiterate him, I say, quite from your memory.”
  • “If I reprehend anything in this world, it is the use of my oracular tongue, and a nice derangement of epitaphs!"
  • “She would have a supercilious knowledge in accounts, and, as she grew up, I would have her instructed in geometry, that she might know something of the contagious countries. This… is what I would have a woman know; and I don’t think there is a superstitious article in it.”
The above malapropisms, of course, were engineered for comic effect, but inadvertent malapropisms can be just as humorous. These were taken from college essays:

  • “Parents try to install these virtues in their children.”
  • “He became affluent in French, Italian, Latin, and Greek.”
  • “My parents are alike and indifferent to each other.”
(A la Rinkworks)
Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

20 comments:

  1. I love the pineapple of politeness. :D

    The college essays are funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing wrong with installing virtues! Just plug your USB port into child's ear and... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Julie: Except I don't like pineapple! ;)

    @Ellen: Oh, so that's how that works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonder which are the contagious countries? Better make a note not to go there on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I *always* get sick on vacation, so I don't know that it really matters to me. :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these things! One of my favorites is an oldie but goodie.

    Church usher to parishoner: "Hello, madam. May I sew you to your sheet?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. They must have had a hard time getting to them stay in the pews at that church!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I *always* get sick on vacation..." Did you ever try the Peppermint Essential Oil, or would you rather hold a barf bag than smell like a candy cane. :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, but I have used Thieves oil *after* getting sick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How great would it be to create a character still quoted hundreds of years from now?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe your character will be one of the lucky few!

    ReplyDelete
  12. “Parents try to install these virtues in their children.”

    I know a few parents who would love to do just that or if that fails become "affluent in several languages."

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Illiterate him..." is my favorite. Not something I should do as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Ralfast: I speak pidgin French. Is that enough to qualify me for these untold riches of the polyglot? :p

    @Leslie: A favorite of mine is from one of the old Thin Man movies. William Powell reveals that a woman is illiterate and she gets all huffy, thinking he meant "illegitimate."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aren't they great? I got a big laugh out of them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are peachy keen :).

    Heard a well-known cooking show personality say on her TV show (on a couple of different occasions): "I'm sweatin' like a bullet!"

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's great! If I were a bullet about to launched out of a gun, I'd probably be sweating too. :p

    ReplyDelete