Friday, June 24, 2011

Say what?

Some of you may (or may not) know that our oldest son Mike, his wife Julie, and their boys Caleb and Noah recently returned from a long stint in India as missionaries. It was a joyous reunion, and while they were at our house we got to reminiscing about the struggles they went through finding funding for their trip.

One night, early in the process, they held a meeting in the fellowship hall at their church, where they told the members of their vision, that talk to be followed by a question and answer session. During this time my wife and I held our grandsons Caleb and Noah, who were then five and three respectively, on our laps. Not surprisingly the boys were a bit antsy during Mike and Julie’s talk, but in general were well-behaved.

Then came the end, and Mike asked if anyone had any questions. Several hands went up … including little Noah’s. Mike took the questions from the adults one at a time, but kept shaking his head at Noah, silently telling him to put his hand down. To no avail. During the next fifteen minutes Noah patiently kept his hand up, all the while getting the hairy eyeball from his parents.

Finally the last question was answered, and Mike scanned the audience. “Anybody else?” he enquired. At this Noah started waving his arm, getting some chuckles from the group.

Mike sighed and smiled at his son. “Yes, Noah, what’s your question?”

To which our little grandson, in dead earnestness came back, “How come when I go swimming I have to wear a life jacket?”

The room exploded in laughter.

I guess kids really do say the darndest things … or at least the most surreal!

So what's the craziest thing you ever heard a child say?
Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share


  1. Good on Noah, he did exactly what Dad told him to do, raised his hand because he had a question :)

  2. When my grandmother was younger, her friend was pregnant with child number 2. As her figure blossomed into near labor time, her little 3 year old son asked some questions.

    "Mom, is that a baby in your tummy?"

    "Yes, son, that's our new baby."

    "Do you love that baby?"

    With joy she exclaimed, "Oh yes! I love him very much!"

    Perplexed, he then asked, "Then why did you swallow him?"

  3. My daughter (2.5) recently had a good one. The whole family (hubby, me, and both kids) were at one of our son's doctor's appointments and the nurse asked our daughter how old she was.

    With a perfectly straight face, she replied, "Fourteen."

    All three of us adults burst into laughter, and I told our daughter, "No, honey, you're two!"

  4. Love it! Maybe Noah will grow up to be a comedian.

    @KatC: That's priceless. Thanks for this morning's extra chuckle!

  5. Oh, wow--little kids are awesome! My favorite little kid quote came from my youngest brother-in-law, Jonah, who was 6 at the time.
    It was while my husband & I were courting (with very strict rules--we couldn't even hold hands), and I was visiting them at a condo they'd rented for the week. All the kids were settling the inevitable "who would sleep where" arguments.

    Jonah picked out a bed, turned to me and said, "Heather, this is for me and Justin. There's no room for YOU!"

  6. Funny stuff, folks! Keep 'em coming! *G*

  7. LOL! How cute!

    When my oldest boy was about 5 my SIL went into labor after her water broke while she was out shopping. I went to the hospital to be with her (all night) and my other SIL watched my kids that night, and the next day while I slept she took my boys to see their new cousin. When my boys got home I asked how their aunt and the new baby were doing, to which my son replied, "Oh, Aunt Barbie is good. Her water bucket's not broken anymore."

  8. Posted this on my blog a few weeks ago:

    I seem to have regular conversations with my youngest son (8) which make me smile. I thought I’d post a few, before I forget them. This was Tuesday’s:

    Son: Dad?

    Me: Yes?

    Son: Dad, did you do anything to Mummy on your wedding day?

    Me: Erm, what do you mean? Did you have anything specific in mind?

    Son: Well, on Phineas and Ferb, the man pushed a cake into the bride’s face!

    Me: No, I didn’t push cake into Mummy’s face.

    Son: Oh, OK.

  9. Loved this story. I was teaching a science lesson on sink and float in my Kindergarten class when a boy raised his hand. I called on him and he said, "My dog went to Las Vegas."

  10. I wasn't there for the actual question, but I know someone whose son asked, "If a scorpion fought a crab, which would win?" He asked this in the queue at a supermarket, sparking off a long debate with everyone in line and the cashier.

    The father used this question as a way of getting people interested at the opening of a workshop event. At the end of the workshop, we were still discussing it. We still haven't reached a definitive answer, but my money's on the scorpion.