Friday, July 8, 2011

Fabulously Fun Friday ~ Misplaced Modifiers

Misplaced modifiers are an author's worst nightmare. Oh, but the chuckle they bring when we know what the author meant but the literal meaning of the sentence is just, well, hilarious. I've been all over the internet collecting these gems just for your enjoyment. Happy Friday, everyone!


  • The baby was delivered, the cord clamped and cut, and handed to the pediatrician, who breathed and cried immediately.
  • The patient lives at home with his mother, father, and pet turtle, who is presently enrolled in day care three times a week.
  • Running quickly in the winter air, my nose got cold.
  • At the beginning of the novel, Tom Joad comes across a turtle on his way home from spending four years in prison.
  • Only people with cars that live in dorms should be allowed to park in those lots.
  • My cousin went on and on, describing the details of her wedding in the elevator.
  • We saw dinosaurs on a field trip to the natural history museum.
  • I found my missing baseball glove cleaning my room.
  • Don't try to pat the dog on the porch that is growling.
  • Blaring from the stereo, I didn't recognize the strange music.
  • The guest speaker had dedicated his new book to his dog who was an archaeologist.
  • The smoke alarm went off while cooking my dinner.
  • We saw the trapeze artist swinging dangerously through our binoculars.
  • The library has several books about dinosaurs in our school.
  • I sent a poster to Mom rolled in a tube.
  • Sitting on the telephone wire, he saw a meadowlark.
  • While scuba diving in the ocean, a jellyfish stung me.

Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

14 comments:

  1. LOL Oh, those are way too funny! Thanks for the best giggle of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great - all the more so, since we've all made mistakes like these at point or another!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my favorite is the first one about the baby and the pediatrician. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a baseball glove that will clean my room :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A baseball glove that cleans rooms? Wow. Do ya think I can borrow it to clean my house?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Priceless! Thanks for the giggles ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If we had the cleaning glove and the cooking smoke alarm we'd be all set, girls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilarious. I've got to share these with my 5th graders since they are guilty of this all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know which one's funnier! One thing for certain: I don't want my smoke detector cooking my meals. It would squeal the entire time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leslie, humor is a great teaching device! Good idea.

    Linda, LOL. I finally had to move our smoke alarm because it was SO picky. We couldn't even turn on the burners on the stove without that thing going off. And honestly, I'm not THAT bad of a cook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sitting at the computer with my dog, cat, rabbit and Bearded Dragon snickering at your post. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha!Crying pediatrician is so funny...but a wedding in an elevator would save lots of money. Thank you for a good chuckle :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Connie, I know! Hubby and I could have saved so many headaches if we'd just chosen an elevator instead of the church. :)

    ReplyDelete