Friday, September 30, 2011

10 Reasons It's Great To Be A Writer

Elspeth Antonelli wrote this list earlier this week. It resonated with me (especially the accidental neologisms in step 3). How many of these resonate with you?






10. There is no dress code.

9. You're not eavesdropping; you're working.

8. Your rather eccentric computer history of websites can be explained as research.

BONUS: Actually, anything can be explained as research - it just takes a bit of thought.

7. Your active imagination now has something to focus on.

6. Although you say you don't base your characters on anyone you know, you could. Revenge is sweet.

5. People expect odd behaviour from creative types. This is an advantage.

4. You know talking to yourself serves a purpose.

3. You can tell yourself your typo isn't a typo, it's a new word. Language evolves.

2. If you write romantic scenes you can blush and tell people you couldn't possibly confirm whether they're autobiographical.

1. You can make your own rules and then break them.

hat-tip, Mystery author Elspeth Antonelli
Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

11 comments:

  1. Very cute post...I tend to favor #10. Wearing Pj's all day is kind of a heavenly thing. And then #1. It's nice being in charge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like #4. Everyone accuses me of talking to myself. I'm not really. I'm answering the voices in my head.

    I love Elspeth's stuff. AC is hosting another of her posts later this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's also the job I know where when someone asks you what you're thinking you can respond, "The voices inside my head have told me I have to kill Archduke Ferdinand." without them backing away slowly and dialing 9-1 and leaving their finger on the 1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #3...I like typos. One of my book titles came from the typo of a friend. Now I'm always on the lookout for interesting-looking typos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! #4 and #5 are my favorites. Anything to justify my weirdness. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha :) This is so great. So now when people catch me evesdropping in my pajama's, I'll just say, "Hey, I'm a writer" ;)

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the kind comments. I'm blushing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your great post, Elspeth. Really enjoy your work and your blog and your observation into the mind of writers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL These are so fun! Now, when others wonder why I sit all hunched over, I can just say I'm stuck in my writer position! Thanks so much for posting them. And thanks, Elspeth! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this list! My favourite is #8!

    ReplyDelete