Monday, September 12, 2011

Grin and bare it (your soul, that is)

Recently I came across an old list of questions a publicist once asked me, and I thought I’d ask them of you, dear reader. Depending on where you are in your writing journey, some of these may not apply (yet). But if you’re up to answering a few—or all—of them, and putting your replies up in the comments box below, I think it would prove an immeasurable help to everyone who reads them. So be honest, and tell all! *G*

What writers have you studied with, if any?

If you haven't studied writing, what inspired you to write?

Do you think your book will qualify for any awards?

Who do you see as your target market (reader)?

Is this your first book or are you multi-published?

Tell the world about your book. (Not the book blurb, the meat).

Give one line (a tagline) that describes your book.

How would you like to see your books promoted?

Do you have head shots, promotional photos?

Are you actively using social media to meet readers?

Do you have a website?

Do you maintain your website or do you have a webmaster?

Have you done public speaking?

Have you done television interviews, been before a camera before?

Have you done radio interviews?

Do you have a marketing and publicity budget?

What have you done to date to market your book? What do you feel the results were?

Where have you lived?

Children, grandchildren? Names and ages?

Pets? (Yes, I realized they could be listed under children!)

Do you have another profession? If so, what?


Likes & dislikes?

What professional organizations are you members of—in any field?

Have you won any awards, grants, or any type of honor—in any field?
Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share


  1. Great list! Some of these are chewy food for thought. But why would a publicist need the names and ages of your children and grandchild - or pets for that matter?

  2. Wow, what a comprehensive set of questions! That should point the writer's mind toward self-evaluation.

  3. I definitely agree with Ms. Weiland; some of those questions are just a bit *oddly* invasive.

  4. Some of them are indeed invasive, and that's one reason I never used the services of that publicist (even though the house is paying them). My personal business is my own, thankyouverymuch. But as you said, some of them do contain chewy goodness, no? *G*

  5. Will give it a go.
    1. Will be taking a class with Martha Frankel starting at the end of this month.
    2.Therapist suggested I write my story. I did, twenty-five years ago, sent it out to agents and got personal responses from most. All gently suggested writing would help. I have been writing now, and am tackling this memoir again.
    3. I hope so, but can't claim that.
    4. Those who suffered childhood abuse, those in the new age and occult, Christians - for it is a healing journey from abuse through the new age to Christianity.
    5. First book.
    6. I survived major child abuse from beatings to rape, my mother knew of my father's acts and kept notebooks. I was suicidal, saved by pagans who gave me unconditional love. I embraced the lifestyle, but memories kept battering me. Therapy didn't help. I studied with major occult groups from Bevy Jaeggers to a coven in Chicago where I was at one point a priestess of 150 witches. Studied Macumba and Santeria, then married, had children, and began seeking to fill the void. Met a wonderful pastor who helped me deal with the pain of my past and embrace Christ. Now, my goal is to reach others and help them find a path to healing.
    7. A journey of healing from abuse that explores many paths from new age to Christianity.

    I'm going to stop there, I don't have head shots, have spoken to groups about my history, have a blog, and was once interviewed for a local TV show called Say Amen. Am still learning about marketing. Did secure a website with the title of my book - Tell Me What He Did.
    I have been happily married almost 25 years and have three kids - all in college, a cat, and I am caretaker to two aquatic frogs that probably could earn a record for longevity.

    Those are a lot of questions to answer, but I can see that they are wonderful for me to focus on as I am almost finished with my rough draft. Thanks for sharing them.

  6. I suppose a publicist never knows what seemingly insignificant detail of our lives they could tweak for a promotional opp. Perhaps your pet has the same name as the president. LOL. I don't know... just a thought.

    Heather, it sounds like you have quite a story to tell. So happy you found the Answer you were looking for! Wishing you all the best.

  7. Lynnette, thanks for your comments. It is quite a story, and one with a happy ending.