Monday, November 7, 2011

Marketing

I'll be the first to admit that although I'm not the most tech-savvy person around, one thing that's helped me get the word out about my books is social media. Everyone knows about Facebook and Twitter, of course, and even a couple hours a week making posts there will help let people know who you are. But one thing: don't make every post about your book; use most of what you put there to help folks know about you. Do this enough times, and they will naturally be receptive about what you've written. But constant bloviating about your latest tome will tend to make you come off like the old joke, "but that's enough about me; what do YOU think about me?"

The sites I'm talking about in particular are ones you may not be familiar with, AbsoluteWrite dot com, and, for those of you writing for the Christian market, ChristianWriters dot com.

The former is the largest online writing community if, in not the world, at least the United States. There are a lot of forums there devoted solely to craft, but there's also one strictly for posting info about your works. Free publicity: you gotta love it. These forums get thousands of visitors a week, and to me, becoming a member there is a given.

The latter also has a sub-forum for posting your book news, with the added benefits of fellowship.

Hope these help!
Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

2 comments: