Monday, November 5, 2012

It's Been a Fun Run...

It is with some sadness, a little relief, a bit of angst, and a good measure of thankfulness that I write this post today. For many reasons I've decided to step away from my roll as a contributor here at AuthorCulture.

The sadness stems from the fact that I've been in on this blog from the foundation up. Leaving was not an easy decision to make.

The relief is due to the fact that I've never enjoyed blogging overly much. Although I did enjoy the camaraderie with my blogging partners and the followers here on the blog, I never felt like I had any great teaching or answers to offer that couldn't be found elsewhere on the net with a simple Google search.

The angst is of course due to the fact that "they" (the great authorial advisers in the sky) say that every writer should blog. However, I feel much is changing. My "fans" (if I ever get to the place where I have more than 10 :) ) can interact with me via Facebook (or 10 years from now, whatever media is the then current social phenomenon of the day) and I will be happy to chat with them there.

The thankfulness is because I've had a fun run here at AuthorCulture; made some great friends who I know will remain friends through the many changes of the future; and learned a lot about a variety of writing related issues while I was here.

Still, all good things must come to an end, as they say, and I'm excited to see where the future will take me.

On that vein, if you'd like to connect with me on Facebook you can find me at www.facebook.com/authorlynnettebonner. And I do encourage you to check out the page as, in celebration of the November 15th release of the 4th book in The Shepherd's Heart series, I have a big give-away going on right now for a one night stay at The Outback Mini Resort in Pierce, Idaho. The drawing will be held on December 15th - so you'll know if you won in time for Christmas!

God bless you one and all!
Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

13 comments:

  1. So disagree with the feeling that you aren't offering "pro" advice - you sure did for me! But I sympathize with trying to do everything we're "supposed" to be doing. When we reach the saturation point, we all should sit back and think about what's working and what can go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saturation point... that's a great analogy. Yes. When I started this blog with Katie and Linda I wasn't working a day job. Now I am and my hours were extended a bit this year. Between that, co-leading a local fiction writer's group, my kids' schedules, church stuff, and trying to squeeze in time for my own writing - not to mention the huge learning curve I'm in right now since I've decided to self-publish, there isn't much time or brain power for blogging. :) I'll still be around to comment and pester you guys!

      Delete
  2. Lynnette, I've really enjoyed getting to know you a little better. I always actually enjoyed your posts for the very reason you state - your posts weren't the effortless gems of a natural blogger. I really appreciated seeing what was in your head and what you contributed. Everyone has their own voice, and I've always particularly enjoyed yours. Best wishes in the next stage of your creative writing career and know that you'll always have a fan in Wisconsin. (Hm, Lisa's here, too.) Ok, two fans. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phy, that means a lot. Up two fans! Awesome! :)

      Delete
  3. Make that three fans!

    I've always enjoyed your posts too, but I know blogging can be overwhelming, particularly if it's not in the top 100 favorite things to do.

    Best of luck with your new release. We'll miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I'll be around to comment and heckle! :)

      Delete
  4. Lynnette, it's been great blogging with you, but you've made a good decision to give yourself some margin, or at least more room for the work you already do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janalyn. Yes, we all have to step back and reassess sometimes and make some changes or go under. :)

      Delete
  5. Lynette...sad to see you go! This is a trending topic on many writer's blogs of late - what are we trying to say that hasn't already been said? What are our blogs for?

    The thing is, if I quit saying stuff that's already been said, I may as well shut my mouth for the rest of my life. It's all been said at one time or another. Not only tips and teachings...even the stories have all been told in some form.

    It's how I choose to tell it that makes the difference - how my voice differs from the others.

    In life, I've been told the same thing (at times) by different people - looking intently into their eyes,
    appearing to comprehend, but in reality, allowing the information to go in one ear and out the other. For whatever reason, they didn't reach me.

    But on the umpteenth time, perhaps I read something by Lynette Bonner. Perhaps Lynette put a tidbit out there in such a way that I finally got it. It finally registered.

    I'm new to the blogging world, trying to do what we all do when starting - get my book published. I don't feel like I have anything to say or teach.

    However, I prefer blogging to FB. FB, to me, is a big cocktail party that I simply don't have time for. It doesn't currently meet my needs and I certainly don't feel like I'm offering much to others. I feel like I'm doing nothing but gossiping and waiting to chuckle at the next zinger.

    So, for my situation, I set up two blogs...one for all my writing crap that draws people in the craft, creating friendships, and one for the articles and experiences that I feel necessary to write on Alzheimer's Disease. Am I an Alzheimer's Expert? No, merely a caregiver with a story to tell. The same story that haunts all of us in this predicament, however, I have a unique way to tell it. ML's way.

    Lynette...I've been following this blog and you for almost a year. You do have something to say. I thoroughly understand your decision, but know that I'll miss Lynette Bonner's unique way of conveying it!

    Continued blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, M.L., and I agree - each voice does have a unique way of saying things. And I may get back into blogging one of these days, but in the mean time, I know you'll still find wonderful content here at AuthorCulture and I wish you all the best with your writing.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to see you go, Lynnette! Chalk me up as yet another who has always enjoyed your posts. But I totally understand about the needs to conserve time and energy.

    ReplyDelete