Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Writing Boo Radley




Boo Radley brought my husband and I together. Well…sort of.

We were at a singles get-together many years ago (I will not elaborate on the number of years) and, according to Steve, he’d been trying to find an opening in the conversation to start chatting with me. Once he heard my roommate and I discussing her cat named “Boo,” he seized the opportunity.

“Boo Radley?” Steve finally interjected a comment.

That caught my attention, since the character from To Kill A Mockingbird was a favorite of mine. Rarely had I heard anyone speak the name. Between the impish grin on Steve Cooper’s face and the fact that he knew Boo, well, the rest is history.

What is it about Boo Radley that generates such feelings in a reader, I often wonder. Is it because he was so alone and different? People were afraid of him? He turned out to be a hero? I think there are many factors that place him in a permanent position of affection in my heart. Regardless of the reasons, I know one thing: I will always love the character of Boo.

I also know another thing. Harper Lee was not only a creative writer in her solo and successful novel of To Kill A Mockingbird, she was a brave and sensitive one. She chose an odd and unusual character on the fringes of society to play a major role in her story. I commend Miss Lee her courage. In doing so, she challenged not just racial prejudice in her brilliant book, but also the fears and insensitivities so prevalent in our hearts when someone is “different.”

Thinking of other memorable and vulnerable characters, one might venture to Tiny Tim in A Christmas Carol. How much did this crippled, sickly child influence the change of heart in the miserly Ebenezer Scrooge? In fact Charles Dickens’ novels are filled with unusual characters who are both entertaining and insightful.

The character of “Charley” in Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes shows the plight of a developmentally disabled adult who becomes the guinea pig for scientific research. A heartbreaking story of love and the essence of what makes us human.

It seems that often the “different” characters in our missives turn out to be somewhat dangerous ones. Perhaps it is more of a challenge to portray the wounded, the handicapped, the unusual people in our lives who so enrich our society, despite their seeming inadequacies.

I remember when I worked as a nurse with developmentally disabled children how my view of “normal” began to change. I quickly realized that it is the less than perfect bodies in this world that can teach us what it means to be ambassadors of God’s love.

When I think of Boo Radley, I think of the impact he had on the lead characters in the story. Besides revealing the obvious heroism of this lonely man, the story made all the other characters richer in their understanding of the world. That is a goal that I have in my novels. Because ultimately, I want to see my characters change for the better. And sometimes that metamorphosis occurs when the caterpillar is allowed out of the chrysalis.




Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

  1. Very nice analysis and great personal reflection - characters come from the inside, no matter how quirky, in order for us to mix them up and spit them back out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa. Always a challenge to learn from the great writers. I can only hope to create memorable characters who stand out in a reader's mind long after the book has been placed back on the shelf—or deleted from their e-reader! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that I'd be able to create a convincing "Boo" or "Charley," because my experience is so limited. I wonder whether they are derived from real people or imagination.

    Good article, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I could either, Linda. I think if I ever decide to, I will find someone similar to my imagined character and hang out with them for a bit. With their permission of course. ;-) It would be a challenge, but I think, well worth it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful post. I wonder how many of us feel "different", even though we may not have handicaps or be externally different. Just that sense of isolation from others.
    I am reminded of how God chose those on the highways and the byways to invite to his wedding. I think that I am one of those. I also believe that all of us should look out for those on the fringe: the lonely, the different. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, you hit the nail on the head: All of us should look out for those on the fringe: the lonely, the different. We can be so afraid of "the different" that we fail to see the blessing that they are in our lives. And you are also correct that one can feel isolated and "different" even if appearing normal on the outside. That's where we must pray that in every situation, we are sensitive to others and not so focused on ourselves. Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete