Monday, May 13, 2013

Autocrit - My Bestest Buddy, by April Gardner

Welcome to our guest!
By April Gardner

Someone on the John 3:16 Marketing Network recommended the website I looked into it, and so far, it has all the appearance of being useful tool for writers.

In the company's own words, “The AutoCrit Editing Wizard is an instant book editor. With the click of a button it shows you the problems in your manuscript.”

Copy, paste, click “analyze.” That simple.

The free version analyzes 1,500 words each day. It will check for overused words, sentence length variation, and clichés and redundancies.

The paid version increases word count to 3,000 per day and adds on repeated words and phrases, phrases summary, pacing, dialog tags, initial pronouns, readability, and homonyms. The repeated words and phrases alone is worth the $47/year!

I put the first scene of my latest novel through the wizard. Mind you, it had already undergone four critiques, but I was still shocked at what the wizard caught. It’s mostly nit-picky stuff, but since I’m a nit-picky author, AutoCrit has potential to become by bestest buddy.

With a 30-day money back guarantee, it was a no-brainer to fork over $47, but I plan to test-drive it hard over the next month!

Swing by there now and pop 500 of your latest words into the wizard. Just for fun. Then come back and let me know what you think!
April W Gardner is an award-winning author, an editor,
and the founder of the literary contest site, Clash of the Titles
Note: this post originally appeared in November 2012 on Reflections in Hindsight
Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share


  1. April,
    I copy and pasted 500 words to the AutoCrit and was deeply offended. Those words were PERFECT! The nerve! They slashed my beautiful words to ribbons. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya, to break writers down.
    Actually, it was very good and enlightening. And so simple, that even I could do it.

  2. One of my fellow editors with Prism Book Group has the full subscription so I can send her manuscripts to run through and it gives about eight reports that are detailed and fabulous! I'm using it to help me as I edit the work of my fabulous writers. It is a powerful tool.

  3. Great site. I tried it out and bought the $47 membership. Used the Facebook coupon for 10% off. FB2013.

    I've got 2 books to edit and this should help a lot. Not sure I like the 1000 word limit. May have to upgrade. We'll see and I'll let you know.

  4. Interesting... I've been using Pro Writing Aid because it has a Word add-in. The two look very similar, and certainly very useful!

  5. Interesting. I use Pro Writing Aid (it has a Word add-in which I love) and pricing seems to be a little less. Since I'm limited on word counts on Autocrit, I can't say how they compare though. Thanks for the post!