Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Inspiration for the Senses

Google Free Images

My daughter recently held one of those home parties for flame-less burners and scented candle wax. I got my usual headache sniffing all the samples, but couldn't believe it when I ran across one that said "Tomato Vine". The fragrance put me right smack in the middle of a garden, among the tomato plants. Talk about inspiration! I promptly sniffed through even more samples to see what might relate and inspire me in my current WIP. I bought a few in a car fragrance card format and put them in baggies. I'll whip out my scents when I need some inspiration.

This reminded me that one of our local critique group members collects paint chip cards to help her with color descriptions.
Google Free Images
 The color names alone are romantic and inspiring. You might not actually use Asian Pear green, or Silver Spoon gray, but it might inspire you to a more in depth description. 

What are some helps that you use to flesh out your scenes with the five senses?

Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. I often start with scent, too, and think what would be around my scene, whether it's outside or inside. Then move on from would it make any sense to use taste in this scene. What would the characters touch, or rub against? What kind of activity would be going on that they would hear? Are they in control of any of those above things? Or, by their absence, is the tension higher?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, good questions to ask when constructing a scene. Glad you came by:)

      Delete