Monday, April 28, 2014

Keep At It

The mere habit of writing, of constantly keeping at it, of never giving up, ultimately teaches you how to write. — Gabriel Fielding

That’s one of my favorite quotes about writing. Pretty straightforward. Write.

I find that I spend a great deal of time trying to get the hang of social network/marketing, reading how-to articles and books, and then trying to apply it all to my work in progress.

My dream of becoming a published author has come true, and continues to come true. But sometimes it feels like I’m all about the next hopefully to be published project – the stress of that first sentence, the turn-ability of that first page. Will the publisher deem it worthy?

I remember when it was just about the joy of writing, practicing, rolling words around in my mouth and then translating to the page. I used to journal without the inner editor, wrote reams of letters, played around with how to use a newly learned word.

The more I write, the more these two things meld together – writing to publish and writing for my soul. The more time I spend writing just for practice, the more what I’ve learned leaks over into my submissions.

Just write.
Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment