Friday, October 24, 2014

Book Review: How to Get a Truckload of Reviews on Amazon

Who wouldn’t love a truckload of reviews? The title, How to Get a Truckload of Reviews on Amazon, immediately drew me in, and that in and of itself is a lesson on how to promote yourself as an author. The book is written by Penny Sansevieri from Author Marketing Experts, Inc. I’ve always appreciated Penny’s take on getting your name out in front of people as an author, and I like that she has the experience in dealing with authors solely as someone who helps promote them.

Reviews and Engagement Matter

Her first point is a great one. Reviews are still important. I often overlook them because they can be such a pain to get, but it’s true that reviews can help or hurt your book. I’ve especially found this as I’ve experimented with different price points and free promotions. A book that others recommend will get snapped up in a free promotion instantly, but one without reviews won’t do as well.

This encouragement should help you put “get reviews” back on your to-do list. And really, sometimes it really as easy as just asking. I know for me personally I don’t do that enough.

Reviews Versus Blog Tours

Penny offered an important distinction, that of asking bloggers for a review versus asking them to be part of your online blog tour. Sometimes we throw that option into our pitch for blog tours (“I can do a guest post, have you do a review, giveaway…”) and really we shouldn’t be so cavalier about this. If we need reviews we need to approach readers and ask for them. Penny’s book offers up several different options for pitching.

Free Listings for Bloggers

The book is very short and does contain a lot of common sense, but just as I was about to chalk it up to being just “okay” I spotted the free list of book bloggers for various genres. Brilliant. This resource alone is valuable and will help authors target the sites they need to connect with readers.

All in all, I think it’s a good book to have, especially when you’re just about to do promotion for a book and you don’t know where to begin. Penny’s advice breaks it down into manageable chunks. 


Cherie Burbach has written for, NBC/Universal,, and more. Visit her website,

Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share


  1. Thanks, Cherie, I went over to Amazon and snagged it based on your great review. I'm at a standstill on reviews myself, and maybe this will help.

  2. Yes--for the list alone, this book sounds worth its price!