Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Interview with Marketing Director, Pamela Thibodeaux

Pamela Thibodeaux is one busy lady. She is a multipublished author of romance and creative nonfiction, the former owner and current ad sales director for the ezine, TWJ Magazine, the marketing associate for Pelican Book Group, and the founder/member of The Bayou Writer's Group in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Pam is quite familiar with the world of publishing.

I invited her here to give us a few tidbits about marketing. I hope you find her responses helpful.
Tell us about TWJ? How is it doing?

TWJ began in 2011, but I was not the founder. I was (at that time too) the Ad Sales Director. I purchased the magazine in 2012 and owned it for about a year-and-a-half before it grew so fast that I couldn’t maintain it alone. (Funny how God brought me full circle with that, huh?)

Our newsletter goes out to over 3000 contacts monthly, we have 6000+ likes on our Facebook page, plus Twitter (1200+), LinkedIn (500+), and Goodreads (900+). And our reach is growing steadily.

What is your favorite marketing tool?

A publicist! LOL! Seriously, I love creating tweets but other than that, I don’t have a favorite marketing tool. I simply do my best at what I know to do….tweet, FaceBook posts, blog spots, and interviews, etc., then trust God to do the rest.

Do you think buying ads in online and print magazines is worth the money?

I believe any advertising you can afford to do is worth the money. Statistics show a person has to see a product seven times before it even registers that they’ve heard about it before. That said, I don’t advocate going into debt buying ads, but when you can afford, yes, advertise any place and every where you can and get your name and/or brand out there!

What do you think of Facebook parties? Are they successful? Is there a way to measure their success?

I guess that all depends on the individual’s definition of success. Anytime you can garner name recognition, attract and engage readers and/or potential readers, and increase awareness of who you are and what you write, it’s a good thing.

Here’s the rub though: If you are basing the success of your advertising against sales and/or royalties, stop! I’ve been the Marketing Associate for PBG for a couple of years now and engaged in self promotion for more than a decade, and I can tell you this: What works for one author/book may not work for another. There is no cut and dried formula to ensure the success of any book/author. The key is consistency. Pick your poison, stick with it, and trust God to get your book(s) into the hands of those who most need its message.

Tell us about Circles of Fate. Why did you write it? What do you want your readers to get out of it?

Circles of Fate was initially penned longhand in two five-subject notebooks in 1989. I wrote it as I have all of my other stories—to get God’s message of hope and healing, of love, to a hurting world. It is my prayer that in reading this romantic saga that covers nearly twenty years in the lives of the main characters, readers will come to realize that God really does work all things together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

Blurb: Set at the tail end of the Vietnam War era, Circles of Fate takes the reader from Fort Benning, Georgia to Thibodaux, Louisiana. A romantic saga, this gripping novel covers nearly twenty years in the lives of Shaunna Chatman and Todd Jameson. Constantly thrown together and torn apart by fate, the two are repeatedly forced to choose between love and duty, right and wrong, standing on faith or succumbing to the world’s viewpoint on life, love, marriage and fidelity. With intriguing twists and turns, fate brings together a cast of characters whose lives will forever be entwined. Through it all is the hand of God as He works all things together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

Purchase Links:
Create Space:

Author bio: Award-winning author, Pamela S. Thibodeaux is the Co-Founder and a lifetime member of Bayou Writers Group in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Multi-published in romantic fiction as well as creative non-fiction, her writing has been tagged as, “Inspirational with an Edge!” ™ and reviewed as “steamier and grittier than the typical Christian novel without decreasing the message.”


Twitter: @psthib
Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share


  1. So glad, Linda, to read this wonderful interview of Pamela! She does so much behind the scenes for us authors that it is good to see her in the spotlight. Many blessings to both of you!


    1. She's an amazing lady. I have no clue how she juggles all those balls!

  2. Great advice, Pamela. Good luck with your new release. It sounds wonderful.

  3. Seven times? Egad! I'd better get to work! Thanks for helpful and informative post--will try out some of your ideas.

  4. What a great post, Pam. I always enjoy getting to know you better. And Circles of Fate is at the top of my TBR. I have a technical question for you as you represent the other side of publishing-- the publisher itself. Financially, what is a publisher's financial contribution to a book's publicity? One of my local RWA chapter mates presented an article by a well known NY public relations guru who claims whatever % of your royalties a publisher keeps...they are responsible for that same % of effort to promo your book. WDYT? Hugs and love to you....

  5. Thanks for the marketing insight. I'm finding that the sales hat doesn't fit my writer's head well. CIRCLES OF FATE sounds wonderful! Best of luck with it.

  6. Pamela, I've considered an on-line ad available to me at a reasonable price. Your comment on paid ads gave me a good nudge in that direction. Thank you. Cheers

  7. Wow, thanks friends for stopping by and Thank You, Linda for this wonderful opportunity to share here on Author Culture!

    IDK about that Tanya, it may be true for large publishing houses which have an actual marketing budget but not so much for smaller houses. I can assure you though, Nicola and I and the rest of PBG staff and authors do a jam up job in marketing our books and each other! Great question. I hope my answer isn't disappointing. :-)

    I hear you Marissa! I'd much rather promote others' books but hey, if we don't believe in our book, no one else will either so put that sales hat on as much as you can until you get comfortable with it.

    Good luck with the ad Marilyn!

    Blessings to you ALL!