Friday, January 16, 2015

Write His Answer: A Bible Study for Christian Writers, Third Edition by Marlene Bagnull

Several years ago I attended a conference at the Green Lake Conference Center in Green Lake, Wisconsin. In the bookstore, I found a book by Marlene Bagnull titled “Write His Answer.” The cover did not have impressive artwork, yet I was drawn to the book.  Taking it off the self, I noticed the subtitle – “A Bible Study Guide for Christian Writers.”

I remember thinking I had never heard of a Bible study guide for the Christian writer. I opened the book. It is under 200 pages in length; it was not too long to be overwhelming and not too short as to make me think it wouldn't be worth my time or money. I bought the book.

Since that time, two more editions of the book were released. The third edition is November 2014. I own each edition.

Write His Answer: A Bible Study for Christian Writers, Third Edition has 33 short chapters. They can be used as part of a person's daily devotional or quiet time. Chapters include: Called to Write; Overcoming Procrastination; Seek His Kingdom First; Conquering the Deadly D's; Driven or Led?; and Proclaiming Truth to a Dying World

It also includes nine Appendix:

  • Appendix 1 - Called to Write His Answer
  • Appendix 2 - Laying A Biblical Foundation for Your Writing Ministry
  • Appendix 3 - Writing Your Testimony
  • Appendix 4 - From Idea to Published Manuscript
  • Appendix 5 - A Writer's Statement of Faith
  • Appendix 6 - Helps for Forming Critique Groups
  • Appendix 7 - The Critique Process
  • Appendix 8 - Goals for Christian Writers' Groups
  • Appendix 9 - Recommended Resources

It is an excellent resource for discovering your calling as a writer. It gives abundant direction and insight to my purpose as a writer.

Marlene will walk you step by step where you will learn what it takes and will know for sure if you are called to write.

This book is full of Bible-based advice sure to help any writer seeking to further the Kingdom with their writing.

It is an encouraging work that discusses a writer's vision and goals, the need to rightly divide the word of truth, and to share God's message to a hurting world with compassion and faithfulness. The author stresses the importance of first taking off our mask so that we might be real and relevant to others as we strive to give them a clear picture of Jesus Christ.

Marlene Bagnull is quick to share her frustrations and disappointments as an author as rejection slip after rejection slip came her way, but through the encouragement of her pastor and others, she did not give up.

I love a quote from the book that reminds us as Christian writers, "We are literature missionaries!" p. 19

Write His Answer is a wonderful Bible study for all Christian writers.   It will encourage you to do more writing.

I attended the Colorado Christian Writer’s Conference in 2013 and will attend it again this year. I met Marlene through the conference.

From her Amazon Bio: “Marlene Bagnull has made over 1,000 sales to Christian periodicals. She is the author of eight traditionally published books. As the founder of the Greater Philly Christian Writers Fellowship in 1983 and director of their yearly conference, Marlene has embraced God’s call to encourage and equip you to write about a God who is real, who is reachable, and who changes lives. She teaches Write His Answer Seminars around the nation and has also directed the Colorado Christian Writers Conference since 1997.”

Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share


  1. This one is going on my TBR-NF list/ Thanks for introducing it to us, Jimmie.

  2. I just added it to my wish list on Amazon . . .Thanks for sharing. I'm hoping to purchase it sooner rather than later!

  3. I've heard wonderful things about this book, but kept forgetting to buy it or even put it on a list. It's NOW on my official list of books to buy!! Thanks, Jimmie.