Friday, February 13, 2015

Review: Saving America: A Christian Perspective of the Tea Party Movement

As a rule, I'm about as politically-savvy as our hermit crabs, and like them, I spend much of my
time in my politics-proof shell. I'm nearly useless when it comes to debating my opinions on our candidates and the issues because 1.) I'm usually awash in the garbage that passes these days for campaigning and thoroughly confused, and 2.) my views aren't particularly popular with a lot of people, anyway. I'm staunchly conservative and many of my friends and neighbors aren't.

What's-his-name, the hermit crab
That said, once I read Jonathan Wakefield's Saving America: A Christian Perspective of the Tea Party Movement, I felt considerably enlightened, and yet sadly disillusioned. I recall a time in my life--many years ago when I was a child--when I believed everything our president or senators, representatives, or their staff members told us. I'm not sure, but I think my parents and many of their friends, neighbors, and co-workers felt much the same way I did, but of course not with the child-like awe I felt when I thought of the men and women who governed us. Yes, those were simpler times and news (or rumors, innuendos, or outright lies) didn't spread with the speed of light, but even given that, I think we had far more reason back then to believe our leaders than we do today.

At the beginning of the book, Wakefield clearly admits he didn't want to get involved in politics, but was driven to it by the downward spiral of America's economic, moral, and world standing, and by God's leading. Frankly, I learned more about our government from reading Saving America than I'd learned my entire life. Wakefield has methodically, accurately, and truthfully researched the situation, and not only points out what's wrong, but also who's to blame (and believe me, it's all of us), and how we can rectify the situation.

I found it quite interesting that while the author points out the danger of allowing BGDs (Big Government Disciples) to continue their reign, he also shows that the roots of big government extend a century into the past. This is not a "Bush vs. Obama" finger-pointing session, but rather a close look at how the proponents of big government have been at work through many periods of our history and with the help of (or despite the disapproval of) numerous administrations.

The book not only addresses both major political parties, but present and potential Tea Partiers, Christian and non-Christian voters/non-voters, minorities, celebrities, and the church. Mr. Wakefield doesn't pull any punches and divvies out the blame or accolades as they are earned. There's something for everyone in this book--pastors who are brave enough to spread the word, politicians who do carry out the responsibilities of the job they were put into office to do and who covet the trust their constituents invested in them (and politicians who do neither), and Americans who are just plain confused. While they know something is horribly wrong, nobody has told them just what it is that's wrong and how to correct it.

To be honest, this book enlightened, infuriated, entertained, and scared the living daylights out of me. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to know how we got where we are, what we're losing bit by bit, and what we can do about it before it's too late.

Wakefield writes in a non-confrontational, easygoing manner, yet his message is anything but warm and fuzzy. He's deadly serious and after reading Saving America: A Christian Perspective of the Tea Party Movement, I realized I should be too. You'll want to mark up your copy as I have mine to share nuggets of information the next time you want to debate someone who loves big government.

I encourage you to buy it, read it, and talk about it to anyone who loves our country. Jonathan Wakefield has a written a real winner.

Saving America: A Christian Perspective on the Tea Party Movement

Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share


  1. I'm glad you reminded me of this one. I've been wanting to read it, just haven't yet. Good review.

  2. I really enjoyed it, Linda, and I think you will too. It sure makes you think! Thanks for commenting.


  3. Writing Politics in an inspirational blog is touchy. I once unsubscribed to one blog that went off the deep end on a screed. This blog pushes the envelope, but not past it, for me. Good work, but dangerous ground.

    I have it on my must-check-out-list. So far 90% of the political books I've bought in the last decade couldn't get through the front door of their screed to bring principled logic to the topic. I am rooting for this book to beat the odds.

    Items of interest. 1. no eBook?? 2. you can find it for $0,49 plus shipping.