Monday, February 2, 2015

To the Moon!

I'm over the moon! After many, many long months of writing, agonizing, and taking turns doubting myself, wondering why I ever thought I could write in the first place, and having daily, sometimes hourly inner pep talks--you know, all the joyful things we authors do while writing a book--I finally finished my latest manuscript this past week.

Yep, it's done. The End. Whew! It's finished, by golly. All behind me now.
Moon over Murfreesboro, TN.
If you look closely, you'll see a
 teensy me hurtling over it. (Not really.)

Or is it?

That's a silly question, isn't it? Just because I finished the story doesn't mean I've arrived at the end product any more than delivering a baby means you've raised an independent, loving, and responsible adult ready to take on the world. It just means you have the stretch marks to show for it.

What it does mean (aside from the stretch marks in my brain) is that I've completed the easy part and am about to embark on the 8th (yes, 8th) round of editing. Since I'm a pantser, I spend a lot of time editing previous chapters--to stall, of course--while I wait for inspiration to arrive. Even after I finish with the editing procedure, I have to send it out to other readers, write the synopsis (ugh), and prepare a brilliant proposal to present to my agent, who, I pray, will love it and send it out to multiple publishers, after which a raging bidding war will ensue. (This is why I write books. I live in a fertile fantasy world.)

I'm hoping this latest manuscript will become the first in a series. Perhaps that's why it took me so long to complete. Not only did I need to establish the plot and characters for this particular one, but I had to keep in mind how I wanted things to play out in second and third books. That whole series idea is a bit optimistic, I know, considering I haven't turned it into my agent yet. But if I have sequel ideas firmly planted in my mind and can then relay that information to the publisher-to-be in the proposal, I'll have a better shot at it. So the work I put in to make a series feasible while writing this book will be well worth it if it comes true. Thinking ahead takes time (for me, at least), but in the end I think I'll have saved myself some grief.

Still, I don't want to short-change my accomplishment. Yes, I have much to do, but I did just complete a complex 100,000+ word novel and I have God to thank for that. Every time I was ready to throw in the towel (or my laptop), He came to my rescue and gave me just enough of the story to let me write a few more pages. The pace was glacial, but in the end, I realized it needed to be. Some books come easier and faster than others, but this wasn't one of them.

However, it is finished. Now I'm free to devote my time to the more difficult parts of manuscript submission, and I hope those facets will be made a bit easier by the fact that it took me forever to get this far. I have all the details in my head. I've tied up all the plots and sub-plots, haven't left anyone dangling, and somewhere in my brain are the perfect synopsis, proposal, and back cover copy. I'll agonize over each of them just as I did with the book itself, but in the end, it will all be finished.

Then I'll be free to start on another one. We never learn, do we?

Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

14 comments:

  1. Few things satisfy more than finishing a project, no matter how many times you have to go back and polish. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda... I've completed many manuscripts, but this one gave me fits. I'm happy with the outcome, though!

      Blessings,
      Deb

      Delete
  2. Manuscript submission is less fun than a tax audit but just as necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jimmie... actually, it's the work AFTER we write the book or story or whatever we're working on that makes it shine. '

      Blessings,
      Deb

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!! Order a pizza, buy some chocolate, open some wine! That's a huge achievement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kessie, I love your train of thought :-) Thanks for reading.

      Blessings,
      Deb

      Delete
  4. Good for you and you've accomplished something HUGE that not many people do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cherie... I am very happy it's finished and already planning the next one :-)

      Blessings,
      Deb

      Delete
  5. I hear ya with the ug factor...my last wip was a bugger too.
    But my little voice has to tell ya...plotting has its place. :) I told the high school classes I spoke to last week that putting new words on clean pages is probably the smallest part of the whole writing process. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I agree! New words on clean pages... I like that. And I wish I could be a plotter--waiting for my characters to tell me what they want to do gets frustrating. Apparently, they love to keep secrets :-) I know I'd outline if I wrote a non-fiction book, but I guess with fiction my brain doesn't trust what I come up with in an outline, that there's always something "better" out there that will occur to me if I just wait long enough!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on finishing your draft, Deborah. Take time to celebrate before you do the administrative stuff that is the writers' equivalent of doing the laundry by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got that right, Donn! Thanks for your kind words...

    Blessings,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the comparison of completing a novel with giving birth, and your last sentence is priceless! While in labor with my first child, I remember saying, "I'm never having another baby!" but as soon as I held him, I was already rethinking that statement. Well done, Sister - can't wait to see the finished product on the Best Seller list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could hug you both! Yes, this birth was a l-o-n-g one, but I think in the end I'll be happy with it (and I hope Terry is too!). Thanks for your kind words.

    Blessings,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete