Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Unfinished Business Stock Photos

Stock photos are everywhere today because authors are using them on book covers and even blog posts. But let’s face it, some of the photos are really cheesy and awful. I just saw a book cover that had used the same stock image that I did for a blog post. My post was about toxic friends and showed a woman cringing in anguish about her lack of positive relationships. The novel was about a different subject entirely, but when I saw the cover I immediately thought of my blog post.

One of the major complaints about stock photos is how unnatural the images are. Recently a movie about the business world, Unfinished Business, played on this concept by putting Vince Vaughn and his costars in the same poses and settings as those stock photos. The result? Hilarious! 






What’s more, they’re offering them for editorial use. Adweek has some more info (and shows all the pictures) but you can download four of them right from iStock/Getty for editorial purposes.

Since this promo has received so much attention, I can’t help thinking of how writers can learn a marketing lesson from this. Can the writer of a business or humor book do something similar? Or could writers create artwork or a meme that could be passed along to help promote their book? Promotions like this are golden opportunities to learn because the basic principles of marketing (and what gets people’s attention) remains universal.

©iStock.com/Dan Trunkman and the team from Apex Select. See Unfinished Business in theaters starting on March 6, 2015.


Cherie Burbach is a poet, mixed media artist, and freelance writer specializing in lifestyle and relationships. She's written for About.com, NBC/Universal, Match.com, Christianity Today, and more. Her latest book is: How to (Really) Make Money BloggingVisit her website for more info, cherieburbach.com.



Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. Good post, and I love your new meme. Inspired me to come up with one of my own--if you don't mind me copying your idea. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not my meme but that's why I posted it - to generate a conversation about how we could make this concept our own as authors. So copy away! :)

      Delete