Friday, December 18, 2015

Take Off Your Pants! by Libbie Hawker



The Amazon.com blurb about this book says:

"When it comes to writing books, are you a “plotter” or a “pantser?” Is one method really better than the other?

In this instructional ebook, author Libbie Hawker explains the benefits and technique of planning a story before you begin to write. She’ll show you how to develop a foolproof character arc and plot, how to pace any book for a can’t-put-down reading experience, and how to ensure that your stories are complete and satisfying without wasting time or words.

Hawker’s outlining technique works no matter what genre you write, and no matter the age of your audience. If you want to improve your writing speed, increase your backlist, and ensure a quality book before you even write the first word, this is the how-to book for you.

Take off your pants! It’s time to start outlining"  I include this blurb because this book absolutely lives up to its claim. I'm a writer with a full time "other" job, and so my writing time is precious and needs to be planned and focused or I'd never get anywhere. I've always outlined, and used various plot structures, but found Libbie Hawker's book similar to other plans in some respects, but extremely comprehensive and detailed in its how-to theme.

As in other plans, you first determine your characters, their desires and flaws, the antagonist and his/her desires and flaws, and then work out your plot system. Hawker's suggestions for character and story development are very helpful and her plot structure is clear and concise, yet leaving room for those times when characters don't want to follow the plan. You know, when they get a mind of their own.

The structure is fantastic for plotting a novel, and adaptable for short stories. I highly recommend reading this book, whether you are a plotter or a pantser. Thanks, Jimme Kepler, for recommending this book.
Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

  1. I love the book! It has reduced by writing time by 50% for the first draft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmie, you're daily posts from Starbucks are an inspiration.

      Delete
  2. Leaving room is good advice. Sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I need room, I never stick with the original plan, lol.

      Delete
  3. I've used it to write, let me see, two novels, two novellas, and a short story. It works amazingly well, and let's me maximize my precious writing time. It also helps me spot flaws in stories during editing--usually because I've strayed from Story Core, Character Arc, or Theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made this year's Nanowrimo project go much smoother.

      Delete
  4. I've read several books on outlining, including KM Weiland's Outlining Your Novel. I'm learning, but I'm still a hybrid. I miss intuitive writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all are hybrid to a certain extent. I find it depends on the project.

    ReplyDelete