Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Writer's Winter

Okay, I confess . . . I love winter. Gray clouds full of snow, cold wind biting my face, soft sweaters, scarves, mittens, hats, and coats. Coffee and a good book while snuggled up in a comfy chair by the fireplace make my day. I hang on the weatherman's every word like a child waiting for Santa Claus, because snow where I live is about as rare as Santa's visits.

The majority of my friends hate winter. The steel sky and freezing temperatures make them miserable. From their point of view nothing happens in winter. Everything feels and looks dead. No leaves on the trees, no grass in the lawn, no flowers in the beds. Just . . . bleh.

I have to admit, after a couple of weeks of sunless skies, I do begin to feel dull and have been known to sit under a bright light until I feel better.

Soooo, why am I writing about winter? Because we sometimes experience this season in our writing lives when nothing seems to be happening. Our minds are frozen, no words are on our screens, no inspiration in our souls. Just . . . bleh.

Winter gives the appearance of death, but life is happening below the surface. This season is actually nature's time of rest and rejuvenation. Therefore, when we are experiencing writer's winter, we should do the same. It is a time to play, sit under a bright light of inspiration, and push our writing roots deeper.

The way I play is doing fun writing exercises. One of my favorites is describing things using different senses not normally used. This stretches my imagination and refreshes my description storehouse. Below are a few ideas I have in my book, Writing from Your Soul, due out early next month:

  • Describe violin music using taste and touch
  • What does fire taste like
  • What does bravery smell like
These are just to get you started. Grab a notebook and have fun coming up with your own.

I also sit under the bright light offered by others in writing blogs like this one. Jane Friedman another great resource for writers.

Finally, we push our roots deeper by reading. This is very nourishing to our writerly minds. Read for the pleasure of it, and resist the temptation to edit while you read. *smiley face here* Appreciate the talents of others.

If you find yourself in writer's winter, embrace it. Take the time to rest and rejuvenate. In no time writer's spring is sure to bloom!

Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share


  1. Love your analogy. And I love winter long as I'm in Florida. :)

  2. Thank you Janetta! And thanks for the giggle.