Monday, April 4, 2016

Gets My Goat

I broke a cardinal rule of writing the other day.

I didn't watch where I was going. Now it could be said that's a good rule for just about everything in life from crossing the street to choosing a husband or wife, and it can be, but in this context it's important because I not only messed up my schedule, but someone else's too. (Sorry about that, Linda C. Apple.)

I inadvertently took Linda's blog spot last week. I looked at my calendar, and sure enough, there was my name. I had the date right, but used the wrong calendar. And therein lies the rub (or at least the mistake).

With the advent of the internet and all the social media opportunities available to us, you'd think getting the job done (and done correctly) would be simpler and nearly foolproof. Perhaps it is for others who are better at keeping things straight than I am, but I don't fall into that camp. My camp is more for folks who try desperately, but still manage to mess up. Camp Messy. Camp Darn It I Did It Again. Camp It Gets My Goat Every Darned Time I Do It.

Here I am trying to streamline my process ...
wait, that's not me. That's a pile of goats.
See? I did it again! 
Are you one of those folks too? Don't despair, but rather learn from me. I quickly looked at the correct calendar, and yes, lo and behold, there was Linda's name on the date I'd usurped. Using the proper tools for the job would've paid off big time for me (not to mention Linda). I ran off a copy of the correct calendar for the next year, highlighted my name, and most importantly, tossed the incorrect calendar so I wouldn't do it all over again.

There are times we all over-extend ourselves, and writers are far from immune to this problem. Maybe because we're eager to make our names known in the publishing world, eager to do our part to spread the good news, teach others (and learn from others), as well as participate in as many forums and writing groups as we can (in addition to do our actual writing), we're even more prone to mistakes. I can use as many reminders, calendars, alarms, and notes-to-self as I want, but if I don't sit down once in a while to sort it all out (and hopefully streamline the process a bit), then toss out the old calendars, I'll be doing this all over again some day.

What about you? How do you keep track of your obligations?






Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

  1. A calendar is my saving grace (along with the Lord). But, I have to make sure I write on the right month when I jot down as what it is I have to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An online color coded calendar is my safest bet. One calendar for everything with several prior notifications, all set up to share with all of my devices. This worked well when I owned and managed my retail business. Of course, human error is always a factor. It plagues us all. ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, I can relate to that! My calendar doesn't have the month written in large letters at the top, so it's easy for me to mess up!

    Cecilia, that sounds like a good idea. I think my computer calendar has color coding and I should take a look at that!

    Thanks to both of you for reading and commenting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are precious! As our pastor sometimes jokingly says, "God works in mischievous ways." You had a good word today we all needed to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Linda! It was the least I could do :-) The person who develops a calendar I can't lose, destroy, mess up, or forget about deserves ... well, a nice pat on the back.

    ReplyDelete