Friday, June 3, 2016

MEETING THE MYSTERY: Seeing Jesus Through the Eyes of the People He Met

AMG Publishers

Back Cover Material:

Sometimes we know their names; sometimes we don't. Sometimes we know how their stories ended; sometimes they've disappeared into the sands of time. In every case, though, the stories you're about to read are based on actual, true events. All of these storytellers met the Story himself. Much of the material is drawn directly from Scripture. Other stories are more speculative. Details and dialogue are sometimes added to make it easier to see and hear the stories unfold. But great care is taken in each story to be faithful as possible to both the spirit and intent of the biblical record.

Jesus knew that the best way to teach people the truth was to wrap it up in a story. As you read these stories, you'll discover the truth for yourself. The truth about Jesus. The truth about the Mystery. 

And there's no turning back. Once you've been shown the truth that lies at the heart of the Mystery, once you've met him for yourself, you'll never be the same again.

My Review: 

My plan for this book was to get comfy in my chair and read the whole thing in one sitting. Steve is an amazing storyteller, after all, and I knew I was in for a beautiful afternoon. That was my plan. . ..
However, after reading the first story I knew that wasn't happening.

There are fourteen storytellers in this book.  First person accounts from Mary, Zebedee, Nicodemus, John the Baptist, a money-changer in the temple, and Judas, to name a few. Each story gripped me and caused me to ponder on what I had read. It took me over a week to read Meeting the Mystery. I couldn't rush it for fear I'd overlook something. Story after story Steve shared nuances and tiny details from the scriptures I hadn't noticed before. All during the day I found myself reflecting on what I had read. After each account Steven includes a section titled Diving Deeper where he makes thought-provoking observations. Then he ends with a poem, prayerfully written. At the end of the book are discussion questions making this a great book for book clubs or small groups.

This is a book I will read over and over one story at a time.

     Steven James

Steven James is a national bestselling novelist. Equipped with a unique Master's Degree in Storytelling, Steven has taught writing and storytelling on four continents over the past two decades, speaking more than two-thousand times at events spanning the globe.

Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share


  1. Wow, I'm a big fan of his fiction and didn't realize he'd been equally prolific in his nonfiction. Great review. I was totally freaked out, though, by one review since 2014. That has to be one of those Amazon glitches, or a clearing of reviews or something. You make a great case for his book, Linda

    1. Steve writes in so many genres! He writes thrillers and is a favorite teacher at Thrillerfest. But he also writes for children, dramas for churches, poetry, textbooks, devotionals, and nonfiction. He is an amazing writer and an amazing man! I'm privileged to call him my friend! :)

  2. Love his work. This is so intriguing! Definitely going on my wishlist!

    1. Have you read Story? It is his "calling" book. It is out of print, but I have a few of the last ones left if you are interested. Sailing Between the Stars is great too! :)

  3. This sounds fantastic! Thanks for a great review, Linda :-)

  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  5. I really admire you writing style and the article you had written Which is very interesting keep posting

    Latest Govt Jobs In India

  6. nice information shared thank you and i am interested to visit again. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just too great. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it smart. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a wonderful website.
    SSC Latest Updates 2016
    upsc exams 2016 notification