Friday, September 9, 2016


Available on Kindle

Book Blurb

New York editor Jen Gibbs knew when she bought Evan Hall's next blockbuster book, it would change her career. She didn't know it would change her life. But after being sent along on the European book tour, at Evan's request, she has made a promise she's not sure she can keep--she's crossed professional lines and accepted Evan's surprising engagement proposal. Now she's scared to death. In Jen's family, marriage represents the death of every dream a woman holds for herself.

Can the revelation of her mother's long-held secret open the doors to Jen's future and change her beliefs about life and love?

My Review:

I confess when I downloaded this book I didn't know it was only available on Kindle or that it was a novella. I thought it was an awfully good price for a Lisa Wingate book. As always, I'm drawn in by Lisa's poetic sense of place. She weaves compelling bits os history throughout her story about Jen and fiancee Evan. He wants to marry right away, but because of Jen's being raised in a religious cult, the Brethren Saints, she is reluctant to lose herself again to a union that to her had always meant domination. She is especially protective of her little sister, Lily Clarette, whom she helped get into college far away from the Saints. In fear of losing her sister, she risks losing Evan. 

For me, it was a page turner. My main thought when I realized I had read the last page was, no, no, no! I wanted to read on. But I hear the story will be continued in another book. Thank goodness. I'm so invested in the characters I want to know what happens next.

Lisa Wingate is a former journalist, inspirational speaker, and the author of over twenty mainstream fiction novels, including the national bestseller, Tending Roses, now in its nineteenth printing. She is a seven-time ACFW Carol award nominee, a Christy Award nominee, an Oklahoma Book Award finalist, and a two-time Carol Award winner. Her novels are known for taking on gritty subjects while offering redemptive and uplifting themes. Recently, the group Americans for More Civility, a kindness watchdog organization, selected Lisa along with Bill Ford, Camille Cosby, and six others, as recipients of the National Civies Award, which celebrates public figures who work to promote greater kindness and civility in American life. More information about Lisa's novels can be found at or on Facebook.

Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share


  1. I haven't read anything by Lisa yet. I'll have to put her on my list.

  2. Sharing the post. While not my usual genre of interest,many of my friends enjoy this type of book, thus the share.

  3. I love Lisa Wingate's books. Thanks for sharing!

  4. The first book of Lisa's I read was Tending Roses. I occasionally re-read it. Her writing is timeless. She is also a sweet person!