Wednesday, November 30, 2016

NEVER TOO LATE






My interest in writing began when I took a creative writing elective course in high school. A spark ignited in me. However after graduation life quickly extinguished it. I married during the first year of college. Unfortunately, this marriage didn’t last. My first husband found someone else and left our baby daughter and me. Thankfully, a lovely man named Neal entered our lives. We married and he adopted my daughter. Over the next few years, we were blessed with four more children.

My life was full raising children, enduring teenagers (yikes), recovering from a house fire, and emotionally surviving the near-death of our youngest son and dealing with his following health issues.

Who had time to write?

When our last child left the nest, I felt as if I had been demoted from Mom in Charge to Mom Advisor. What was I to do with my life? Then a dear friend, Lois Spoon, began a critique group and invited me to join. The spark I experienced in high school reignited into a flame. I wrote in almost every genre, exploring where I fit into the writerly world. And while I enjoyed writing there was one thing that hovered over me like a black cloud—regret.

I regretted all the time lost when I could have been writing. It didn’t help that at every conference I attended the wildly successful author who keynoted started writing before he or she could walk! Who was I, an old woman in her late forties, to think she could start writing and have any success or impact at all? Even now, at the age of sixty-one, I still have those who am I moments. But if I tell myself the truth, I am a woman with stories to tell, experiences to share, and hope to give.

If you are struggling with regret for starting late—don't! Just think of the past years as research, and get on with the business of writing!

You have stories begging to be told!

-->

Add to Technorati Favorites
Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

  1. Thank you! I can relate. I didn't start late, but I stopped for over a decade due to career transition, retraining, holding a job for three years where I signed an agreement where they owned anything I wrote during the tenure of my employment plus one-year. I'm 63 and after not writing from 46 to 56 years old am getting on with the business of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Jimmie! I am so happy to hear this!

      Delete
  2. I thank you as well. My story is very much like yours, Linda. When I got the last one out of the nest I began in earnest. Still working full-time, there is so much I want to do in the writing part of my life. Often I regret starting so late. Research! I love
    that perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thank you as well. My story is very much like yours, Linda. When I got the last one out of the nest I began in earnest. Still working full-time, there is so much I want to do in the writing part of my life. Often I regret starting so late. Research! I love
    that perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember hearing Paul Young's (author of the Shack) testimony. He didn't start out wanting to write. He was tired of forcing life, so he told God all he wanted was to be in on what God was doing. Shortly thereafter his wife asked him to write a story that taught the lessons he'd learned throughout his very difficult life. The story resonated worldwide in so many different ways to different people in all walks of life. But the one message that was the same was that God loved them. I'd say God answered Paul's prayer! AND He will do the same for us no matter how late we start, right?

      Delete